Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Coming Soon from jzbadblood

Last week "A Nightmare on Elm Street" came out to harsh criticism from across the board. Professional critics like Roger Ebert panned the film:

" The movie consists of a series of teenagers who are introduced, haunted by nightmares and then slashed to death by Freddy. So what? Are we supposed to be scared?"

Fans of the series hated the movie before it even came out. It is a remake after all, and no matter what haters will be hating. Me, personally, I enjoyed it a lot. I try to go in to every movie without any bias or pre-conventions. Of course that's impossible, but the point is I make an effort, and with "A Nightmare on Elm Street" I wasn't really able to do that. I am ashamed to admit that. As a fan of the series I had very low expectations, and thus I liked the movie a lot. Perhaps if I had went in level-headed I may have hated it? Who knows. That's the tricky thing about the brain; a lot depends on your mood.

Anyways, I'm rambling. The thinking about my mood and expectations and the Ebert quote got me to thinking about why I like horror movies.. It's not about being scared (although Halloween 1 still creeps me out alone at 3:am). It's not about blood-lust, because I tend to let flies out of the window instead of smashing them..

And then I came to a conclusion which kind of makes everything before this pointless: I don't know. I can humbly admit that. I don't know why I like horror movies, and that's fine with me. I accept that.

So now you're asking yourself: What's the point of all this? Well, let me explain. After wasting my time thinking about all this psychobabble I got a huge urge to watch all of the Friday the 13th movies so Friday night I bought the 3 pack of New Line movies, and today I received the F13 collection in the mail...

How does this effect this blog you ask? Well.....Starting some day near the weekend my "review/analysis" of Friday the 13th Part 1 will be up, and after that Part 2 will follow, and etc. etc. etc.

Until then I ask you to pray with me for a "Salute Your Shorts" DVD release

1 comments:

TheDenizen said...

Lookin forward to the F13 reviews!

Post a Comment