Sunday, January 24, 2010

Halloween II Review

First off, I'm a huge fan of the original Halloween and the sequel. After that the series fell off, but the later editions of the series were still kinda stupid fun. When I found out Rob Zombie would be re-making the original, I was skeptical to say the least. Figured it would either be really good, or fucking awful, with no middle ground.

Saw Rob Zombie's Halloween opening night, and was ready to walk out five minutes into the flick. The whole changing of Michael's family from ordinary middle class folks to white trash scum was goofy enough, but I can't stand the dialogue Zombie writes. I have no problem with swearing in a movie, but there needs to be an element of realism in my opinion, and he goes way overboard. Basically, the movie just went downhill from there. I hated it.

Now why the hell would I even bother watching the sequel? Guess because I'm just a fan of the series. I Netflixed it last week, and watched Friday night. There will be spoilers here, so if you haven't seen the movie but intend to, don't read any further. Plus, this review will probably suck, so just stop now.

The main problem I had with a sequel was the fact that Zombie himself said he was doing his version of Halloween the way it should've been done, with Michael dying and that being that. But, wait, here we are with a sequel. Money talks, I guess.

Halloween 2 actually started off with some potential, with Michael rising up from the back of an ambulance and decapitating one of the paremedics, complete with close-up of the knife sawing through the guy's neck. Once Michael starts seeing visions of his dead mom speaking to him and giving him direction to find his sister, the retardation sets in. Then, you get Michael sans mask, with a long coat and hood on. He's also somewhere along the line grown a huge ass beard and instead of being the silent killer from the original series, he grunts and snarls when killing someone, and even speaks at the end of the movie. Fuck you, Mr. Zombie.

Then there's the obnoxious Lorie, who's all traumatized and doped up on anti-depressants, yelling fuck you to everyone she comes across in the movie. After awhile I was ready for Michael to find her and chop her damn head off.

It was just a lot of silliness and lame dialogue, with some decent kills sprinkled here and there, with the stupidity of Michael's mother popping up and talking to him. I pretty much lost all interest halfway, through but kept on and finished.

I give Halloween 1.5 stars. Barf.

1 comments:

John said...

it's a horror movie, not gone with the wind...i agree and was looking forward to seeing it.I love a good horror movie but this sounds more like a b flick chainsaw massacre,.
r4 sdhc

Post a Comment